Wheat Allergy Symptoms– Awareness Is the best Remedy
Wheat is a vital nutrient of our daily diet and it indeed plays a keen role in keeping our body fit and fine. However, the grain accompanies a threatening side effect as well; that is more prone to the kids, along with the adults in its disastrous clutch and is widely known with the name of wheat allergy.
There are a number of wheat allergy symptoms that you may come across knowingly or unknowingly. Being aware of all those signs in turn makes it quite possible to get away with the disease more swiftly as compared to the other severe allergies. Before we delve into deeper details of wheat allergy symptoms, let us know some more about this heath condition.
What is wheat allergy?
The allergy in fact refers to the abnormal behavior of immune system caused due to the protein contained in the wheat grain. Once you get affected with such an ailment, it directly gives the indication that your immune system has developed a special antibody that makes the proteins within the wheat you consume, next to unbearable.
Wheat Allergy Symptoms
Within a short while from the time you take your meals with wheat in any of obvious or hidden forms, wheat allergy symptoms start surfacing one after another and the process continues till many hours to come. Some of those wheat allergy symptoms are mentioned here:
- Swelling, irritations and itching in and around the throat and mouth.
- Formation of rashes and hives on the skin due to itching.
- Nasal cavity congestion caused due to mucus. It happens mainly because of the release of histamine after the allergen takes charge of the body.
- Problematic eyes with watering, itching, redness and frequent irritation becoming the order of the day.
- Difficulty in proper breathing due to the blockage of air and food pipe inside the body. Gluten protein is generally responsible for such an intolerable choke.
- Bad digestion, leading to symptoms such as constipation and diarrhea.
- Painful stomach and occurrence of fevers.
- Vomiting, nausea and cramps due to consumption of wheat allergen.
- Suffering from Anaphylaxis, the disease which is a bi-product of wheat allergy and accompanies its own specific set of symptoms such as throat tightness, chest congestion, dizziness, breathing problem, change in skin color and constant drop in pulse rate, among others.
Protein responsible for wheat allergy symptoms
Wheat is generally composed of two main proteins, namely gliadins and glutenins that combine together to form gluten. It is this gluten that induces certain immunoglobulin E (IgE) meditated reactions and gives rise to the wheat allergy symptoms.
Who can be affected by wheat allergy symptoms?
Mostly, children are more expected to be caught in the hold of wheat allergy but, they may recover after certain period of time if they cease to intake the diet consisting of wheat. The period may however vary from few weeks to even a year, depending on one’s individual immune system. However, adults working in baking industry and in similar other domains are more likely to develop this abnormal behavior at a later stage in their life. To their misfortune, they are less likely to recuperate from the wheat allergy as compared to the younger.